The Parkinson’s Foundation is presenting its bi-annual Care Partner Summit/Cumbre Para Cuidadores virtually on Saturday, May 16, from 9:00am-12:00pm. The theme this year is “Planning for the Unpredictable Path of Parkinson’s Caregiving.” The Summit is recommended for anyone caring for someone living with Parkinson’s, including spouses, partners, adult children or friends. The event is free, but pre-registration is required.
We have an abundance of curated materials for those caring for someone with Parkinson’s in our Caregiver Corner. Check out references that can viewed online, downloaded, or ordered here.
Here are the Summit details:
Saturday, May 16, 9:00am-12:00pm
Online. Please pre-register. Access instructions will be provided to all who have registered.
There is a link here for those wishing to view the program/materials in Spanish
Please note that the program will be recorded and a link to the archived event will be provided to registrants. Previous Care Partner Summit videos can be found here.
All times shown are Pacific Time.
9:00 – Welcome. John Lehr, President, CEO, Parkinson’s Foundation
9:05 – Your Questions: Mental Health
- The panelists will focus on how to combat mental health challenges for both the person with PD and the care partner
- Caryn Balaban, MPH, Care Partner, PPAC (People with Parkinson’s Advisory Council) member
- Linda Pituch, Parkinson’s Foundation Helpline Information Specialis
- Travis Turner, Ph.D., assistant professor; Director of the Neuropsychology Division, Medical University of South Carolina
9:45 – Interactive meditation
- Angela Johnson, MSTOM, MPH, LAc, Dipl OM, Assistant Professor, Division of Behavioral Sciences, Rush Medical College
10:00 – Your Questions: Cognitive Changes
- This panel will discuss the challenges of cognitive changes in PD and ways to adapt and cope with those changes.
- Amanda Janicke, MA, LCSW, CDP, Parkinson’s Foundation Helpline Information Specialist
- Jill Lowell, Parkinson’s Foundation Helpline Information Specialist
- Adriana Strutt, Ph.D., ABPP, Associate Professor of Neurology and Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Baylor College of Medicine
10:40 – Interactive Yoga
- Nicholas Cherup, Yoga Instructor, Yoga for Parkinson’s, Casa Vinyasa, a 2019 Parkinson’s Foundation Community Grant Recipient, Miami, FL
10:55 – Your Questions: Self Care
- This panel will discuss the importance of self-care – prioritizing time to care for yourself-while caring for a loved one with PD.
- Elaine Book, MSW, RSW, Center Coordinator, Clinical Social Worker at the Pacific Parkinson’s Research Center
- Joan Hlas, MSW, LISW, CREATE program supervisor; Clinical Social Worker, Struthers Parkinson’s Center, Minneapolis
- Jessica Shurer, MSW, LCSW, Center Coordinator, Clinical Social Worker at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
11:35 – Preparing for a hospitalization – Planned or Emergency
- Tom Manak, Care Partner, PPAC member, Care Partner Summit Planning Committee Member
11:45 – Your Questions: Resources and Care Coverage
- This panel will discuss resources that are available to people with PD and their care partners, including respite care and informational resources
- Kara Barton, MSW, LCSW, Clinical Instructor, Social Worker, Keck Medical Center, USC
- Amy Goyer, AARP National Family and Caregiving Expert
- Annie Wallis, MSW, Associate Director of Education, Parkinson’s Foundation